Continuing students must reapply for financial aid each year by completing a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and each Winter Term you will receive an email reminder from us. You are likely to receive similar financial aid packages throughout your time at U-M if the following conditions remain constant:
- Your awards are not limited to one year
- Your family's financial situation remains consistent. Changes in income, marital status, or number of family members, or a change in the number of siblings enrolled in college will affect your aid eligibility
- Federal, institutional and state financial aid programs remain similar
- You apply by the required deadlines
- You report accurate information, including income and assets, on your financial aid application(s).
- You continue to meet the enrollment level and Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.
- Apply for scholarships from private sources such as banks and churches, local companies and organizations, and special interest organizations. See Private Scholarships for more information and search engine listings.
To apply for aid for the next academic year (Fall and Winter terms):
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1 and no later than April 30. See Current Undergraduates under "How to Apply for Aid" for information about reapplying for aid.
To apply for aid for Spring and/or Summer terms of the current year:
- Complete a Spring/Summer Request for Funds (RFF) or a Study Abroad Financial Aid Request. See Current Undergraduates under "How to Apply for Aid" for more information and links to the RFF or navigate to the forms page. Generally the application deadline is in March.
- If you are studying abroad, you will complete a Study Abroad Financial Aid Request and not an Request for Funds form. See this web page for study abroad information.
- Our office must receive your FAFSA from the federal processor by April 30 to consider you for aid (allow three to four weeks for processing).
- Check Wolverine Access to see if you need to submit additional application documents.
- If we request additional materials for verification purposes, we must receive them by June 1 to consider you for aid.
- Complete loan promissory notes (if applicable). You will receive emails with directions.
- Financial aid award notification begins in May, once all application information is received in our office.
- Students receive Fall Term bills.
- Students receive Fall Term financial aid.