Transfer Students

The University of Michigan is pleased to welcome applicants from other colleges and universities. Financial aid for students who transfer from community colleges is available from university, federal, and state programs. Transfer students are considered for most university scholarships upon admission to U-M.

The Go Blue Guarantee: Are you a student with a family income below $65,000? U-M will pay full undergraduate tuition and mandatory university fees for up to four years for students eligible for in-state tuition that have family incomes of $65,000 or less and assets below $50,000 and who are pursuing their first bachelor’s degree. Find out more at


The university offers two scholarships specifically for entering transfer students from Michigan community colleges:

  • Michigan Community College Scholarship
  • Michigan Community College Scholar Award

To be considered for these scholarships, students must apply for financial aid. For more details about these opportunities, download a PDF brochure about these programs.

The Office of Financial Aid administers a Child Care Subsidy Program for students with young, dependent children. This program assists parents with the cost of licensed child care. More information is available on the Students with Child Care Expenses page.

The Current Student Scholarship in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts is available for transfer students in their first fall and winter terms of enrollment. These scholarships are based on financial need. See details about the LS&A scholarship here.

For general information about admission to U-M, including transfer credits and course equivalencies, visit the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website.


Students who are considering transferring to U-M should apply for financial aid. Those transferring to U-M from community colleges and from two- and four-year colleges and universities should follow the application instructions for New Undergraduates. Information for students who are applying for Winter term admission is also included on that page.

If you are a current U-M student and you want to reapply for financial aid, see the instructions for Current Undergraduates.


Transferring to Michigan: Questions and Answers about Financial Aid & Scholarships2017 transfer brochure

This brochure covers questions students and families commonly ask about transferring to Michigan. The brochure includes information about using the U-M Net Price Calculator to estimate how much aid an individual student may receive.