Spring/Summer Aid

The Spring/Summer financial aid process is a bit different both for students entering U-M or attending as a continuing student during these optional academic terms.  See the section below specific to your situation.

If you are a first-time, dependent undergraduate planning to attend U-M beginning 2018 spring or summer terms, we must receive aid application materials for spring/summer and the coming fall/winter terms to process your aid. This includes the FAFSA, PROFILE, plus any additional documents requested by our office. Here are the deadlines:

Special notes to spring/summer admits:

  • Do not submit a Spring/Summer Request for Funds, which is used only by continuing students.
  • Do not wait to be admitted before applying for aid. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office.
  • Bridge Students: If you will start at U-M in the Summer Bridge Program, visit the Bridge web page for additional information specific to that program.


To apply for spring/summer aid, complete a Spring/Summer Request for Funds form, available Feb. 1 through July 31 each year. If you have not yet completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current year, you must complete the FAFSA now and submit it to the federal processor in order to apply for spring/summer aid.  Study abroad students complete the appropriate Study Abroad Financial Aid request. See the menu below for the appropriate forms.
Example:  If you are applying for 2019 spring/summer Aid and have already submitted a 2018-2019 FAFSA for fall/winter aid, do not submit another FAFSA when applying. (If you did NOT submit a 2018-2019 FAFSA, you must file one to be considered for spring/summer 2019 aid. We may ask for additional materials as your application is reviewed.)


Spring/summer financial aid information and application materials are posted each February and remain available through July 31. If you are undecided about attending spring/summer terms, apply for financial aid. There is no penalty. 

 In addition to your U-M applications and forms, we must receive your FAFSA from the federal processor in order to process your financial aid. Beginning with the spring/summer 2019 terms, award notification will begin on Feb. 1, 2019 and will be done on a first-come, first-served, rolling basis, as students apply. Grant funding for spring/summer 2019 is expected to be limited so be sure to apply early to be considered.   
Spring term aid applications will be accepted until June 1, 2019 and summer term and combined spring/summer term aid applications accepted through July 31. The Office of Financial Aid will be unable to process spring/summer applications submitted after these deadline dates.

Students who applied on or after March 29 will only have access to Federal Direct Loans for the spring/summer enrollment period(s).

Application materials
(Available Feb. 1 to July 31 each year. If you have questions, please contact our office)
  • Paper version:  Spring/Summer Request for Funds and Instructions (PDF)
  • If you are studying abroad, do not fill out a Request for Funds (RFF) form. Instead, download and complete:
    • Spring/Summer Study Abroad Financial Aid Request (PDF) (available on Feb. 1 each year. If you have questions about 2019 study abroad, contact our office)
  • If you are in a Social Work practicum or applying for a Spring/Summer TEACH Grant, complete one of the and submit to the Office of Financial Aid in addition to filling out the RFF form.