Terms and Conditions

When you accept our offer of financial aid offered by U-M, you agree to fulfill the following responsibilities, including the terms and conditions set by the federal regulations for financial aid.


If you receive additional funds not listed on your Award Notice (scholarships, departmental awards, Michigan Education Trust, veterans' benefits, etc.), report them immediately in Wolverine Access.  Select Student Business > login > Student Center > Financial Aid > Select Aid Year > Awards > View/Report Additional Aid.

With additional assistance, your aid awards may be adjusted or reduced, even if your aid has already been paid. If there is a change to your eligibility, you will receive an email with a notice of a Revised Award Notice.

Students enrolled at more than one institution concurrently may not receive financial aid from both institutions unless on a pre-approved Study Abroad consortium.


You must not be in default on any federal loans nor owe any refunds on federal grants from post-secondary institutions.


You may use your financial aid funds only for education expenses incurred at UM-Ann Arbor for the noted academic year. Financial aid for a specific term can only be used to pay for charges for that term, not to pay prior term balances.

Financial aid does not cover certain charges. Check your account balance monthly for any unpaid charges.

We apply aid directly to charges on your university student billing account (including tuition, some fees, housing and other charges). Excess funds are released to you in the form of a "refund." Any subsequent charges are your responsibility.  See Disbursement of Aid for more information.

Some scholarships, such as the Michigan Competitive Scholarship, HAIL and Wolverine Pathways are for tuition only.


Enrollment Levels by Credit Hours




Full Time









Full-Time Enrollment is Assumed

We assume that you will enroll full-time. You may enroll less than full-time, but you must be enrolled at least half-time in classes that count for degree credit to be eligible for aid.

Enroll in a course by the University’s third-week drop/add date each term to be considered for financial aid for that course. If your program has a flexible enrollment policy, register before the drop/add deadline. Not-for-credit courses do not qualify for financial aid.  If you are repeating a course, take care that your School or College has not designated it as not-for-credit. If so, it is not eligible for aid and you may be required to repay some of your already disbursed financial aid.

Our Satisfactory Academic Progress policy addresses situations such as enrollment in incomplete courses, repeated courses and withdrawal from classes and the impact on financial aid. To remain eligible for financial aid, students just make Satisfactory Academic Progress toward completing their degrees. Visit our SAP page for details.

If you decide to reduce your enrollment level, keep in mind:

  • Some scholarships require full-time enrollment before disbursement; you could lose your scholarship if you reduce your courseload.
  • Less-than-full-time enrollment may reduce future aid eligibility and Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Aid will be adjusted for students enrolled less than full time after the third week drop/add deadline.

Dropping Classes and Withdrawal from the University

We monitor enrollment levels each term. If you drop courses and fall below the minimum credit hour requirements, you may have to repay all or part of your aid. Consult with a financial aid officer before you drop a class. Adjustments to your financial aid are not made until after the drop/add date for each term.

When a failing grade is given due to a student not attending a class (or when a student stops attending), it is considered an unofficial withdrawal and you could be required to repay your aid. If you have questions about your enrollment and aid eligibility, contact our office.

If you withdraw or are asked to withdraw from the university, you must inform the Office of Financial Aid immediately. If you have received a federal student loan, you will be sent information on completing required loan repayment exit counseling. Depending upon when you withdraw, you might be required to repay all or part of your aid . See Withdrawing and Your Financial Aid.

Wait Listed Classes

Wait-listed classes, not-for-credit classes and classes that you are auditing do not count toward enrollment. So while you may intend to enroll full-time, your course load may be considered part-time while you are on the waiting list.  What you can do:

  • Track your enrollment level if you are on a waiting list.
  • If you are not admitted to your wait-listed class and have not received all of your aid when your bill is due, pay it to avoid a late fee.
  • Once you are admitted to the wait-listed class and you are enrolled full-time, remaining aid funds will be credited to your student account. If you have already paid your bill and you would like a check for the credited amount, contact Student Financial Services.
  • If your are admitted to the class, you will be billed for those additional credit hours.

Required Attendance

Enrolling in courses is not enough to secure your financial aid.  You must also attend the courses in which you enroll.  The Office of Financial Aid is required to verify that students who receive a non-passing grade (any grade other than A, B, C, D, or P) in any class actually began attending the class. If you receive a non-passing grade in a course or no grade is reported, we will follow up to determine whether or not you attended. 

Failure to attend can be expensive: your aid could be reduced retro­actively and you could be required to repay aid you have received.  If you have any questions about your enrollment and eligibility for financial aid, please contact the Office of Financial Aid for assistance.


To remain eligible for financial aid, students must make "satisfactory academic progress" toward completion of a  degree. Federal regulations require the Office of Financial Aid to monitor the progress of each student toward their degree completion. Students who fall behind in their coursework or who fail to achieve minimum standards for grade point average and completion of classes may lose their eligibility for all types of federal, state, and university aid. See Satisfactory Academic Progress.


Depending upon the cost of the study abroad program in which you enroll, we may or may not be able to meet your full demonstrated financial need to attend the program.  See Students Studying Abroad. For more information about your specific program, contact the Office of Financial Aid.


Undergraduate students who have received one bachelor's degree and are pursuing a second degree in another program will only be eligible for loans. However, a student enrolled in an approved dual-degree program or who is a double major may qualify for all types of aid.


Students who are enrolled in combined Bachelor/Master degree programs designed specifically to grant both a BA/BS and MA/MS within a five-year time period should discuss financial aid eligibility with the Office of Financial Aid.  Eligibility for undergraduate aid varies in the fourth year of these programs and is based upon both the type of coursework for which you will be enrolled and how that coursework will be counted.  Students in the fifth year of these programs are always considered to be Graduate Students and will be packaged with graduate-level assistance.