Students outside U-M's Rogel Ballroom
Admitted to U-M? Here are some financial aid basics
December 18, 2015
E.V. Moore Building at U-M Ann Arbor campus
What’s an FSA ID and why do I need one?
January 25, 2016
Show all

Apply for aid: The 2016-17 FAFSA is now available

Student reading at Angell Hall steps on U-M campus

8/6/13 Ashley Buchanan, 19, reads a book while sitting on one of the ledges at the top of the Angell Hall steps on the Central Campus during a "Day in the Life" of the University of Michigan on August 6, 2013.

The 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid is now available, and we encourage students to complete it as soon as possible. Federal Student Aid and the U.S. Department of Education offers a checklist as you prepare to complete the FAFSA. Step-by-step guidance can be found here.

Some of the steps include getting your Federal Student Aid ID, gathering the documents you will need and understanding what information is needed to complete this form. Be sure to ask them to send it to UM-Ann Arbor (federal code 002325) so that we receive it electronically and can process your application.

Students must complete the FAFSA each year to be considered for financial aid. And remember that the FAFSA is always free. If anyone asks for money to help you complete the FAFSA — don’t be fooled.  It is not the federal government, but a private company attempting to take your money.

Our U-M Office of Financial Aid counseling staff is available to help you if you have questions about the process or your aid. You can visit our office during regular business hours, call us at 734-763-6600 or send us an email.

If you are an entering student, U-M asks you to also complete the CSS Financial Aid PROFILE, which allows us to consider you for U-M grant assistance. Visit this page for more information.