Continuing students must reapply for financial aid each year. If you applied for aid the previous year, we will notify you by email early in the calendar year that it is time to reapply. If you do not receive information about reapplying or have questions, contact us. To reapply for aid, all continuing students must complete a new FAFSA. (Returning students do not complete a new CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE if they have submitted one in the past.)
1. Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) starting October 1: Complete the FAFSA online using your federal FSAID (visit https://fsaid.ed.gov to create an FSAID). It is important to list your correct name, Social Security number and information from the correct federal income tax return (1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040). Be sure to include your housing plans and list Federal School Code 002325 so results are sent to UM-Ann Arbor. For a paper copy of the FAFSA, request one online or call 1-800-4-FEDAID.
- If income taxes are filed, you may be prompted to transfer IRS data to the FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. (If you are waiting to file taxes, do not wait to file the FAFSA. Use estimates and amend the FAFSA once taxes are filed.)
- If you are enrolling for only one term (Fall or Winter), including students enrolled in a UM-sponsored co-op program, report this through the non-enrollment reporting tab on Wolverine Access.
- If you are studying abroad for Fall or Winter terms, fill out a Study Abroad Financial Aid Request.
- If you are a parent with child care expenses, get program and application materials.
Parent Information and Signatures are required if you are a dependent student or you are a dental or pharmacy student who is applying for a Health Professions loan. If you do not provide correct parent data or signatures, your FAFSA will be rejected which could jeopardize your eligibility for aid. If you think you might be considered an independent student, please see the definition of an independent student.
2. Update your scholarship information on Wolverine Access
A note about GoogleDocs and other cloud-stored documents: Please do not share documents stored in the cloud with our office email address (email@example.com). This is a group email account and we are unable access these documents. Email, fax or drop off these documents.
- If you have not yet completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current year, you must complete the FAFSA now and submit it to the federal processor in order to apply for Spring/Summer aid.
Example: If you are applying for 2017 Spring/Summer Aid and have already submitted a 2016-2017 FAFSA for Fall/Winter aid, do not submit another FAFSA when applying. (If you did NOT submit a 2016-2017 FAFSA, you must file one to be considered for Spring/Summer 2017 aid. We may ask for additional materials as your application is reviewed.)
(Available Feb. 1 to July 31 each year. If you have questions, please contact our office)
- Online version: 2017 Spring/Summer Request for Funds form
- Paper Version: 2017 Spring/Summer Request for Funds and Instructions (PDF)
- For information about Spring-Summer Direct Loans, visit the Smart Borrowing page.
- If you are studying abroad, do not fill out a Request for Funds (RFF) form. Instead, download and complete:
- If you are in a Social Work practicum or applying for a Spring/Summer TEACH Grant, complete one of the and submit to the Office of Financial Aid in addition to filling out the RFF form.