Current Undergraduates

Continuing students must reapply for financial aid each year. If you applied for aid the previous year, we will notify you by email early in the calendar year that it is time to reapply. If you do not receive information about reapplying or have questions, contact us. To reapply for aid, all continuing students must complete a new FAFSA. (Returning students do not complete a new CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE if they have submitted one in the past.)


1. Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) starting October 1: Complete the FAFSA online using your federal FSAID (visit to create an FSAID).  It is important to list your correct name, Social Security number and information from the correct federal income tax return (1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040). Be sure to include your housing plans and list Federal School Code 002325 so results are sent to UM-Ann Arbor. For a paper copy of the FAFSA, request one online or call 1-800-4-FEDAID.

Special notes:
  • If income taxes are filed, you may be prompted to transfer IRS data to the FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. (If you are waiting to file taxes, do not wait to file the FAFSA. Use estimates and amend the FAFSA once taxes are filed.)
  • If you are enrolling for only one term (Fall or Winter), including students enrolled in a UM-sponsored co-op program, report this through the non-enrollment reporting tab on Wolverine Access.
  • If you are studying abroad for Fall or Winter terms, fill out a Study Abroad Financial Aid Request.
  • If you are a parent with child care expenses, get program and application materials.

Parent Information and Signatures are required if you are a dependent student or you are a dental or pharmacy student who is applying for a Health Professions loan. If you do not provide correct parent data or signatures, your FAFSA will be rejected which could jeopardize your eligibility for aid. If you think you might be considered an independent student, please see the definition of an independent student.

2. Update your scholarship information on Wolverine Access

 Visit My Scholarship Profile to complete or update your profile when you reapply for financial aid, and update it regularly throughout the year. Just log in to Wolverine Access and select My Scholarship Profile in the Campus Finances section. Completing your scholarship profile does not mean you qualify for the scholarships, but it ensures that you will be in the pool for consideration for all scholarships for which you are eligible. For more information, see the My Scholarship Profile page.


APRIL 30 PRIORITY DEADLINE: The Office of Financial Aid must receive your FAFSA from the federal processor by April 30 to consider you for federal and institutional financial aid. If your FAFSA is rejected, you must resolve any problem before this deadline, so we recommend applying early and allow 3-4 weeks for processing. If you miss the deadline, aid will be limited.
JUNE 1:  We will send you an email if we require additional documents (such as tax returns, etc.).  You may also check Wolverine Access (Student tab > Student Business > Login > Student Center > Financial Aid > (select appropriate Aid Year) > Documents/Review).  If you are asked to submit additional application documents, we must receive these supplemental documents by June 1. They can be faxed, sent via email or dropped off at our office.  Find these supplemental forms on our Forms page.

A note about GoogleDocs and other cloud-stored documents: Please do not share documents stored in the cloud with our office email address ( This is a group email account and we are unable access these documents. Email, fax or drop off these documents. 


To apply for Spring/Summer aid, complete a Spring/Summer Request for Funds form, available Feb. 1 through July 31 each year. Note that you must be registered at least half-time for Spring/Summer classes at UM-Ann Arbor in order to receive financial aid.
  • If you have not yet completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current year, you must complete the FAFSA now and submit it to the federal processor in order to apply for Spring/Summer aid. 

    Example:  If you are applying for 2017 Spring/Summer Aid and have already submitted a 2016-2017 FAFSA for Fall/Winter aid, do not submit another FAFSA when applying. (If you did NOT submit a 2016-2017 FAFSA, you must file one to be considered for Spring/Summer 2017 aid. We may ask for additional materials as your application is reviewed.)


Deadlines for Spring/Summer financial aid and application materials are posted each February and remain available through July 31. In general, the deadlines follow the schedule below (specific deadlines are offered as they become available each year). If you are undecided about attending Spring/Summer terms, apply for financial aid. There is no penalty.
MARCH 24, 2017 PRIORITY DEADLINE: The Office of Financial Aid must receive your FAFSA from the federal processor by this deadline to consider you for available aid. Award notification begins in April for students registered at least half-time for Spring and/or Summer.
Applications are accepted after priority deadline, but funding is limited. Spring Term aid applications are accepted until June 2, 2017 and Summer Term and Combined Spring/Summer Term aid applications accepted through July 31. The Office of Financial Aid will be unable to process Spring/Summer applications submitted after these deadline dates. You must visit our office and speak directly to an aid officer for further assistance.
Application materials
(Available Feb. 1 to July 31 each year. If you have questions, please contact our office)

If you have received aid such as departmental awards or private scholarships from sources other than the Office of Financial Aid, it is your responsibility to find out when to reapply for funds and the application requirements and deadlines are for those aid programs. Contact the source or organization making the award.