IRS Tax Return Transcript Information

If you have been directed to this Web page, you are required to provide an Internal Revenue Service Tax Return Transcript as part of your application for federal financial aid to the University of Michigan. This is part of the required U-M Office of Financial Aid application verification process, which confirms information students and parents provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Note: Only the IRS Tax Return Transcript meets this requirement.
The IRS Account Transcript is NOT acceptable.

The information that follows provides guidance for you in obtaining a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript. However, if you did not file or will not file a federal income tax return for the past year, see instructions in the appropriate section below.

If you need to file an IRS Tax Return Transcript, you may do so in one of three ways: by mail, telephone, or online. There is no fee. Allow five to 10 business days for delivery if ordering by phone.

  1. BY MAIL (recommended method): You may request transcripts by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return). Allow yourself plenty of time for mailing (both ways) and IRS processing, which can take 10-14 days.
  2. BY PHONE: Call the IRS toll-free at 800-908-9946 between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
  3. ONLINE: Note: Not all students/families will be given an option to get an online transcript. Visit the IRS website to reach the Order a Transcript page and choose "Tax Return Transcript." You will need your Social Security Number or IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, your date of birth, street address and ZIP code to complete the form.

Mail, fax, email or bring a copy of the form to our office.
Please note the student’s 8-digit UMID number on the form.

If you have questions about the IRS Tax Return Transcript process, visit the Internal Revenue Service website at or contact us.

U-M Office of Financial Aid
2500 Student Activities Building
515 E. Jefferson St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316
Phone: 734-763-6600
Fax: 734-647-3081


If you did not file or will not file a federal income tax return for 2015, you must complete the following and submit to our office in lieu of the transcript:


Tax Filing Extensions: If you are required to file a 2015 income tax return and have not filed it because you were granted a filing extension by the IRS, we will need:

  • A copy of IRS Form 4868 “Application of Automatic Extension of Time of File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return for 2015
  • A copy of the IRS approval of an extension beyond the automatic 6-month extension if you requested an additional extension of filing time for 2015
  • Confirmation of non-filing from the IRS or other relevant taxing authority dated after Oct. 1, 2016
  • A copy of IRS form W2 for each source of 2015 employment income received or an equivalent document
  • If self-employed, a signed statement certifying the amount of AGI and U.S. income tax paid for tax year 2015

Amended Returns: If you have filed an amended return with the IRS, we will need:

  • An IRS tax return transcript listing 2015 tax account information
  • A signed copy of the filed IRS form 1040X

Foreign Tax Forms or Taxes in U.S. Territories: If you filed a tax return with Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands or the Northern Marianas Islands or a tax form with a foreign country, provide a signed copy of that form or tax return. Currency must be converted to U.S. dollars (use a currency converter such as
Please submit this information, if applicable, to our office.


Transcripts are generally available within three weeks of e-filing of a federal tax return or within 8-11 weeks after submission of a paper return to the IRS. A limited number of tax returns take longer for the IRS to process, such as when the return includes errors, is

incomplete or needs further review.