Student News and Important Notes

What is Federal Work-Study? 

Work-Study is a federal program allowing students to earn a paycheck for college expenses and incidentals. Students who are eligible will see Federal Work-Study on their financial aid notice in Wolverine Access.

Unlike other types of financial aid, it is not applied against a student’s account, but is earned by working. U-M uses all of its available Federal Work-Study funds each year to help students.

The university prefers that Federal Work-Study students use direct deposit which will automatically route both paychecks and financial aid refunds into your bank account.

For more information, visit the Direct Deposit Authorization Form page. You may need to complete an I-9 after you are hired which will require you to have original forms of identifying documents. A list of documents can be found here.

After you Apply, Check your Student Aid Report (SAR) 

After you submit your FAFSA, the federal processor will calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and send it to our office. In addition, you will receive a Student Aid Report, or SAR. Review your SAR carefully and make corrections as soon as possible at the Federal Student Aid website. Confirm that the record will be sent to UM–Ann Arbor (federal school code 002325).

A parent signature is required if you are a dependent student or if you are a Pharmacy or Dental student applying for a Health Professions Loan. When completing or correcting your FAFSA, include your signature and the signature of one of your parents. 

Four Common Reasons FAFSA is Rejected

  • Parent/student signatures are missing
  • Social Security Number is incorrect
  • Date of birth is incorrect
  • Student’s name misspelled 

Explore U-M Scholarship Opportunities for 2021-2022

Students are automatically considered for most U-M scholarships. To ensure that you are considered for any available scholarships, complete or update your “My Scholarship Profile” in Wolverine Access by March 15. Visit the My Scholarship Profile page for more details.

Private scholarships may also be available to you, as well as scholarships from specific schools and colleges. Explore the specific school or college website for information, or visit the Scholarships at U-M page for a list of free scholarship search engines.

Borrow only what you need for your U-M education 

Students should borrow only what is necessary to achieve the goal of a U-M college degree. Consider options that could reduce the need to borrow: 

  • Use personal or family assets before considering a loan
  • Look at the U-M Payment Plan for fall/winter which helps families spread costs over five months for each semester
  • Consider part-time employment to stretch your dollars without borrowing 
  • Review your lifestyle choices and expenses for ways to trim costs 

A Few Extra Notes

  • Students who receive failing grades in a course may continue to take it until receiving a passing grade. (So, no limit on the number of times a course is repeated when receiving E, F, or W grades.) If you receive a grade of D- or higher, you may take the class one more time and remain eligible for aid. But if you enroll a third time, there is no aid.
  • 1098-T forms are available through U-M Student Financial Services for students whose tuition and expenses exceed scholarships and grants for the previous year. Find it through Wolverine Access. Direct questions to Student Financial Services at 734-764-7447 or
  • Special note for U-M seniors: If you are currently classified as a senior at U-M and will return for the coming academic year, be sure to check your anticipated graduation date with your academic advisor. If your grad date is set to the current term and you continue into another academic year, your financial aid will be affected and will not pay. Contact the Office of the Registrar to change your graduation date or email us at with any specific financial aid questions.