A New Approach for Spring/Summer Aid

Spring/Summer Aid Application Process

Continuing students should first complete the 2020-2021 FAFSA if you have not already done so.

  • If you had not previously completed a FAFSA, please do so immediately and watch your Umich email carefully for any potential requests for additional information.
  • If you are unsure if your aid application is complete, check Wolverine Access>Student Service Center>Financial Aid>(select Aid Year 2021)>My FA Status. If you need to submit additional information, it will be noted on this tab and on the Documents/Review tab.

No additional application is required. The Spring/Summer Request for Funds application form will no longer be required to be considered for spring/summer financial assistance.

Notification of Eligibility

Students who have completed the fall/winter aid application process (this includes the FAFSA and any other required materials) will receive an email in late February or early March.

Grant aid-eligible undergraduate students will receive a grant estimate based upon FULL-TIME attendance (at least 12 credit hours) EVENLY divided between the spring mini-term (6 credits or more) and the summer mini-term (6 credits or more). The estimate will also indicate minimum eligibility based on no less than 6 credit hours of enrollment EVENLY divided between spring mini term (3 credits or more) and summer mini term (3 credits or more).

All students (graduate and undergraduate) will receive an estimate of their potential eligibility for federal loan and Federal Work-Study assistance based upon FULL-TIME attendance as well as an estimate based upon the minimum required enrollment.

Other information you may need when applying for spring/summer aid

  • Addendum forms are required if you are in a Social Work practicum or applying for a spring/summer federal TEACH Grant. Complete the necessary forms and submit them to the Office of Financial Aid. Find the forms on our Forms page.
  • Students studying abroad will complete a 2021 Spring/Summer Study Abroad Financial Aid Request form. Visit the Study Abroad page for more information and to download forms.
  • Students who have young, dependent children in child care may be eligible for the U-M Child Care Subsidy Program, which helps students with the cost of licensed child care. Specific criteria is required to be eligible and students must complete a 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov and an application for the subsidy. Visit the Child Care Subsidy page for more information and to download forms.

The first payment of financial aid will be available to students on April 30 for spring and 16-week spring/summer terms and on June 28 for summer term. Contact us if you have questions at 734-734-6600 or  financial.aid@umich.edu

A few additional spring/summer tips

  • Register for spring/summer classes during your enrollment period. Register for classes at least half-time in order to receive aid.
  • Aid is awarded based on the assumption of full-time enrollment. If you enroll less than full-time, your aid will be reduced after drop/add.
  • Your enrollment level will be monitored throughout the award period. Changes may result in a reduction or cancellation of aid, or you may be required to repay funds already paid to you.

Did you know?

  • Moving off campus won’t affect the amount of a student’s financial aid. You will continue to receive a housing budget based on a dorm double rate, but off-campus students must pay rent directly to landlords. Plan accordingly! 
  • Students can give parents access to financial aid information in Wolverine Access for aid newsletters and to view needed documents and student notices. Select “Parent/Family Authorization” under the Student Center to set up access.
  • Applications for Federal Direct PLUS loans to parents of dependent students and graduate students are available beginning in mid-April for fall/winter terms. Apply in March for spring/summer PLUS loans. Visit the Direct PLUS loans page for more information.