Emergency Assistance

A family emergency, loss of employment, natural disaster or other unexpected issue can suddenly change your financial circumstances. If that happens to you and your family, the Office of Financial Aid may be able to help with a re-evaluation of your financial aid package.
Our office also offers short-term emergency loans in specific situations and some U-M schools and colleges also have programs to help. View information on the U-M Provost's Office website about Student Emergency Funds around campus.
Any emergency assistance received (from a school or college or our office) is considered part of your financial aid package and must be reported.  You may call our office or report this assistance through Wolverine Access.


Our office provides up to $500 in a short-term (90-day), interest-free loan. To qualify, a student must be enrolled and cannot have another outstanding short-term emergency loan. Typically, these loans should be used for unforeseen emergencies or short-term situations where you will be able to repay the money within a few weeks. Borrowing money is not a matter to be taken lightly and students should consider carefully whether they need a more long-term solution to a financial situation before taking out a short-term loan.
Apply through Wolverine Access following this path:  Student Center > Financial Aid > Aid Year > Loans > Short-Term University Loans. Please note that:
  • Students with past due short-term loans will not be allowed to register for a new semester of study.
  • Outstanding, unpaid balances may results in a change or reduction in your financial aid.

The Office of Financial Aid recommends that students borrow only what they need to accomplish the goal of a U-M education.


Families facing severe financial problems due to job loss, foreclosure or business declines should contact the Office of Financial Aid for a review of financial aid eligibility.

If you have experienced a significant and prolonged decline in family income, you may be eligible for additional financial aid. Financial aid officers can work with your family to find the best mix of resources to keep you enrolled. Circumstances that will be considered for an aid appeal include:

  • Loss of income because of unemployment, change in health, or marital status change
  • High unreimbursed medical and/or dental expenses
  • Business loss (due to bankruptcy, foreclosure or natural disaster)
  • High cost of attendance due to higher-than-usual book or supply expenses or child care costs under specific circumstances.

Contact our office for additional information or to speak with a counselor.


If you are experiencing a life crisis, you may need other forms of support in addition to financial help. Following are some of the offices and agencies that may help you. If you are ever feeling at a low point and need to speak with a counselor, these offices are available to assist you:

  • CAPS (U-M Counseling and Pyschological Services): http://caps.umich.edu
  • MiTalk: http://mitalk.umich.edu (an interactive website for U-M students, which includes online screening for depression and anxiety, skill-building tools to help manage stress and academic life, and digitally recorded workshops, lectures and relaxation exercises.)
  • For a comprehensive list of help around both campus, and off, visit:www.umich.edu/~mhealth/students.html

Watch this "Messages of Hope" video from U-M Counseling & Psychological Services: