Grants are funds from the government or the university that do not need to be repaid.

Although most grants awarded to U-M students are based on financial need, a few, such as the federal TEACH Grant and the State of Michigan Children of Veterans Tuition Grant, have special purposes and eligibility criteria.

There are grants that are based on need and some that are not need-based. When you are admitted to the university, you will be considered automatically for most of the grants administered by the Office of Financial Aid. If you want to be considered for need-based U-M grants, you should also file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and, for entering students, a CSS Profile.