A family emergency, loss of employment, natural disaster, or other unexpected issue can suddenly change your financial circumstances. If that happens to you or your family, the Office of Financial Aid may be able to help with a re-evaluation of your financial aid package.

Our office also offers short-term emergency loans in specific situations and some U-M schools and colleges also have programs to help. Visit the U-M Provost's Office website for more information about Student Emergency Funds around campus.

Any emergency assistance received (from a school or college or our office) is considered part of your financial aid package and must be reported. You may call our office or report this assistance through Wolverine Access.

Short-Term Emergency Loans

Our office provides up to $500 in a short-term (90-day) interest-free loan. To qualify, a student must be enrolled and cannot have another outstanding short-term emergency loan. Typically, these loans should be used for unforeseen emergencies or short-term situations where you will be able to repay the money within a few weeks.

Funds are typically available beginning the first day of class through the last day of the term. If you need emergency assistance prior to the first day of class, and will be enrolled in that upcoming semester, please reach out to the Office of Financial Aid to discuss options.

Borrowing money is not a matter to be taken lightly and students should consider carefully whether they need a more long-term solution to a financial situation before taking out a short-term loan.

Apply through Wolverine Access following this path: Student Center > Financial Aid > Aid Year > Loans > Short-Term University Loans.

Please note that:

  • Students with past due short-term loans will not be allowed to register for a new semester of study.
  • Outstanding, unpaid balances may result in a change or reduction in your financial aid.

The Office of Financial Aid recommends that students borrow only what they need to accomplish the goal of a U-M education.

Financial Aid Re-Evaluation

Families facing severe financial problems due to job loss, foreclosure, or business declines should contact the Office of Financial Aid for a review of financial aid eligibility.

If you have experienced a significant and prolonged decline in family income, you may be eligible for additional financial aid. Financial aid officers can work with your family to find the best mix of resources to keep you enrolled.

Circumstances that will be considered for an aid appeal include:

  • Loss of income because of unemployment, change in health, or marital status change.
  • High unreimbursed medical and/or dental expenses.
  • Business loss (due to bankruptcy, foreclosure, or natural disaster).
  • High cost of attendance due to higher-than-usual book or supply expenses or child care costs under specific circumstances.

Contact our office for additional information or to speak with a counselor.

Related Resources Around Campus

If you are ever feeling at a low point and need to speak with a counselor, find support with these resources:

Watch this "Messages of Hope" video from U-M Counseling & Psychological Services: