If you are receiving financial aid, this information is an important part of your financial aid notification. Please read it carefully and if you have questions contact us at 734-763-6600.
If you have received a revised financial aid notice, the revision is based on additional information received by our office such as a change in your status, review of special circumstances, review of tax return, or receipt of additional aid.
Financial aid offers are based upon information supplied on financial aid application(s) and may use estimated tuition and Cost of Attendance amounts. Aid is revised in June after annual tuition rates and fees are set by the U-M Board of Regents.
Notices are derived from federal, institutional, and state funding and appropriations, the projected number of aid applicants and the anticipated average financial need of all applicants. Notices are subject to reduction or cancellation at any time including during the academic year. If your notice changes, you will be notified at the earliest possible date.
Your enrollment level is assumed to be full-time for purposes of this financial aid notice. Students must be enrolled at least half-time to receive aid. If you enroll less than full-time, but at least half-time, all aid (except Direct Loans) will be reduced based on your level of enrollment. Waitlisted courses, courses you are auditing, or courses not taken for credit do not count toward enrollment levels. The Office of Financial Aid will monitor your enrollment level throughout your funding period; any changes may result in reduction of aid or cancellation of previously offered aid, even after funds have been paid to you. Learn more about qualifying for aid.
To ensure that students with comparable circumstances are treated equitably, U-M may limit the amount of university-funded grant and scholarship aid it awards to individual students. If you receive grants or scholarships exceeding your total cost of attendance and they include funding from any university source, your university grants/scholarships may be adjusted so that your total funding equals the cost of attendance.
When you are awarded financial aid, it is assumed that you will read and understand your rights and responsibilities as specified in Required Reading and that you agree with the certification statement listed here:
- I certify that I do not owe a refund on any grant, am not in default on any loan, and have not borrowed in excess of the loan limits under Title IV financial aid programs at any institution. I will use all money received under Title IV, HEA loan, grant, or Work-Study programs only for expenses related to my study at the University of Michigan–Ann Arbor.
- I have read and I understand the requirements and the conditions that apply to financial aid as stated in this financial aid notice and in Required Reading.
- I authorize the University of Michigan to credit the financial aid funds I have accepted against charges on my student account as described in Required Reading.
- I understand that financial aid awarded to me for a specific term can only be disbursed to me/my account during that same term.
- I will inform the U-M Office of Financial Aid if my residency, academic level and/or program are different from that shown on this financial aid notice.
- I understand that I must report any additional aid not shown on this financial aid notice and that my aid may be adjusted if additional aid exceeds my demonstrated financial need.