Following are online resources for students studying abroad or researching opportunities. This is not a complete list, but offers a number of resources for students searching for scholarship assistance. If you need general assistance about Study Abroad, visit our general information page.
This portal, managed by the U-M ITS Department, offers students a place to search, save, and apply for study abroad programs. Students can create an M-Compass profile which allows them to save programs of interest and apply for a variety of programs in one location (browsing or searching does not require a login).
The following units have study abroad opportunities listed on M-Compass. View their information or email them:
- Center for Global and Intercultural Study (College of Literature, Science, & the Arts): www.lsa.umich.edu/cgis
- Global REACH (Medical School): http://globalreach.med.umich.edu
- International Center Education Abroad Office (Room 10): www.internationalcenter.umich.edu/swt/study
International Programs in Engineering: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office of Global Activities (School of Social Work): email@example.com
- Office of Global Outreach (School of Nursing): UMSN-GlobalOutreach@med.umich.edu
- Ross Global Initiatives / CIBER (Stephen M. Ross School of Business): firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Art & Design: email@example.com
- School of Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Kinesiology: www.kines.umich.edu/goglobal
The University of Michigan International Institute
The International Institute and its Area Studies Centers offer scholarships (for U-M students only) for overseas study, research and internships. Check their website early in the Fall for application deadlines. U-M graduating seniors and graduate students may apply for Fulbright Scholarships.
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year institution to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide. This program supports traditionally under-represented students including but not limited to: students with high financial need, community college students, students in underrepresented fields such as science and engineering, students with diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities. The program assists students from a diverse range of public and private institutions from all 50 states, Washington, DC and Puerto Rico.
From the U-M Office of Financial Aid
The following scholarships are awarded to students when they apply for aid. These programs are administered by the U-M Office of Financial Aid:
Jerry A. May and Deborah Orr May Study Abroad Endowment Fund: Study Abroad support for recipients of the Jerry A. May Scholarship; no application required.
- Helen Curtis Davis Scholarship: awarded to Study Abroad students with demonstrated financial need. Students are automatically considered; no application required.
- Ginns International Scholars Fund: Awarded to students who are studying abroad or traveling internationally for their program. Students are automatically considered; no application required.
- Mary Sue and Kenneth Coleman Student Global Experience Fund: Awarded to students to help fund study abroad or other global experiences. For more information about this scholarship and to apply, log into the M-compass website.