It is never too early to start planning for college. Saving money, learning about financial aid, and budgeting for your life as a student are all part of the process. This page lists some tools and sources of information that you might find helpful before, during, and after you go to college.
- StudentAid.gov -- the website of the Office of Federal Student Aid (U.S. Dept. of Education)
- College Preparation Checklist (from the U.S. Department of Education)
- GradSense -- an online financial literacy platform for graduate and professional students sponsored by the Council of Graduate Schools.
- Your Money Your Life -- The U-M Office of Financial Aid's personal finance website.
- CashCourse.org -- Get tips on handling your money from the U-M Office of Financial Aid and the nonprofit National Endowment for Financial Education at this free personal finance website. A student account and login is required, which will allow you to create a personal portal to save personal finance articles and information. Below you'll find a "Saving Made Easy" video from CashCourse.
Estimating the Amount You'll Need to Save
- College Savings Calculator (College Board)
The Financial Aid Application Process
- FAFSA Overview Video -- Federal Student Aid explains how the Free Application for Federal Student Aid offers access to grants, federally subsidized loans, and Work-Study jobs.
Estimating Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and Financial Aid
- U-M Net Price Calculator (U-M Office of Financial Aid)
- Online EFC Calculator (College Board)
- EFC Calculator (FinAid)
Comparing Financial Aid Offers
Budgeting and Financial Planning
Estimating your University of Michigan Bill
- Wolverine Access > Campus Finances > Financial Planning Calculator > Calculate Estimated Bill
Once at the site, answer a few questions and select Calculate Estimated Bill to see what your bill will be for the upcoming term. (The bill estimator is not available for the spring and/or summer terms.)
Credit Cards, Tax Credits, and Money Management
Estimating your Loan Eligibility
- Wolverine Access > Campus Finances > Financial Planning Calculator > Calculate Private/PLUS Loan Eligibility
Select Calculate Private/PLUS Loan Eligibility to see how much you would be able to borrow through a private loan program or through the federal PLUS Loan program. (This calculator is not available for the spring and/or summer terms.) Parents who have been authorized to see their student's account information will also be able to use these calculators. (Get information on how to authorize a Friend Account.)
- Repayment Plans and Calculators (U.S. Department of Education)
- Repaying Loans (U-M Office of Financial Aid)
- Loan Limits and Calculators (U-M Office of Financial Aid)