Below is a summary of consumer information made available to all University of Michigan students as required by the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended. Each topic gives a brief description of information that is required to be disclosed and explains how it can be obtained. If you need assistance regarding the information contained here or would like a paper copy, please contact our office.

Abbreviated Consumer Information for Download and Printing

Download a PDF with an abbreviated version of this material.

Consumer Information

Note: All addresses on this web page end with: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109.

Graduate Business, Dental, Law, and Medical Students
All students should read the information provided on this page. Students in the following specific programs can refer to the websites noted below for additional, program-specific information.

Graduate Business Students
Stephen M. Ross School of Business Financial Aid Office
Kresge Hall, Room K3521
700 E. University
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 734-764-5139

Law Students
Law School
Office of Financial Aid
Jeffries Hall, Suite 2200
701 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 734-764-5289

Medical School Students
Medical School
Financial Aid Office
5100 Taubman Health Sciences Library
1135 Catherine
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 734-763-4147

Information About the Institution

Accreditation Information

Students may review copies of documents regarding entities that accredit, license, or approve the institution and its programs. The University of Michigan is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Higher Learning Commission, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, Illinois 60602-2504. Phone: 800-621-7440. Contact the U-M Office of Budget and Planning to review the accreditation documents: Office of Budget and Planning; Phone: 734-998-7654; Email [email protected]; Web: For accreditation information for the various U-M schools/colleges, contact the schools/colleges directly.

Copyright Infringement Policies

Information about the university's policies on use of copyrighted material, including peer-to-peer file sharing, is on the Copyright at the University of Michigan website.

Cost of Attending the University of Michigan

For actual tuition and fee charges contact:

  • Office of the Registrar
    2200 Student Activities Building
    515 E. Jefferson Street
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109
    Phone: 734-615-1572
    Visit the RO website

For estimated tuition and fees, books and supplies, housing and meals, and personal/miscellaneous expenses contact:

  • Office of Financial Aid
    2500 Student Activities Bldg.
    515 E. Jefferson St.
    Phone: 734-763-6600
    Visit the OFA website
  • Graduate Business, Dental, Law, and Medical students: Contact your respective financial aid office for this information.

Descriptions of Academic Programs

Information on the university's academic programs, degree offerings, and plans for future programs is available from the various schools/colleges and admitting offices (Undergraduate Admissions and Rackham School of Graduate Studies). Contact individual schools/colleges for information.

Distance Education

Universities are required to comply with the distance education laws of each individual state. If you are an out-of-state student seeking to enroll in an online U-M program, or if you are an online student considering moving to another state, you should check U-M’s status with that state. Visit the Center for Academic Innovation's Distance Education Disclosures page to determine if your program is authorized in your home/target state. Participating in a program not authorized by your state could result in loss of ability to transfer credits.

Complaints regarding an online program should first be pursued according to the U-M policy found in the "Compliance and U-M Policies" section below. Unresolved complaints may be escalated to the respective state; contact information for each state may be found on the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association website.

Facilities and Services for Disabled Students

For information on facilities and services for disabled students, contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities, G-664 Haven Hall, 505 S. State Street, Phone: 734-763-3000; TTY: 734-615-4461; Email: [email protected].


Information on the university's faculty and instructional personnel is available from individual schools/colleges. See the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching website for information on training provided to graduate student instructors at the university.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Many offices at the University of Michigan collect and maintain information about students. Although these records belong to the university, both university policy and federal law accord students a number of rights concerning these records. The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) establishes rules and regulations for access to and disclosure of student records.

To fulfill FERPA requirements, the university has established Policies on Student Records. These policies outline a student's rights regarding their records, where records may be kept and maintained, what kinds of information are in those records, the conditions under which the student or others may have access, and what action a student can take regarding perceived inaccuracies or if a student's rights have been compromised. The policies on student records are published by the Office of the Registrar. For more information or to receive a copy, contact the Office of the Registrar, 2200 Student Activities Bldg., 515 E. Jefferson St.; Phone: 734-764-3507; Web: Registrar's Officer.

Because the university does not maintain all student records in one location, the U-M Board of Regents requires each office maintaining such records to develop written policies and procedures for handling those records. Policy statements are available for students to examine in each respective office. In addition, copies of the university's policies on student records and the pertinent federal law, FERPA, are posted in the Office of the Registrar's Student Services locations and are also available in all deans' offices at admitting offices, schools, and colleges.

Instructional Facilities and Labs

Information on instructional facilities and laboratories is available from the various schools/colleges (Undergraduate Admissions and Rackham School of Graduate Studies). Also visit U-M Library Services for information on library resources at the university.

Refund Policy

The university has a tuition refund policy that stipulates the amount of tuition and fees that are refunded to a student who withdraws from all classes during a term. This policy is published by the Office of the Registrar and by the Office of Financial Aid on the web and in publications. View the refund policy or contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Graduate Business, Dental, Law, and Medical students: Contact your respective financial aid office to request refund policy information.

Repayment Policy (Return of Title IV Aid)

The federal government mandates that students withdrawing from all classes may keep only the financial aid (federal "Title IV" grant and loan assistance) they have "earned" up to the time of withdrawal. Funds paid in excess of the earned amount must be returned by the university and/or the student. Students who have withdrawn will be reviewed to ensure that all eligible aid will be included in the calculation, with the exception of eligible, but undisbursed, federal loans. Students eligible for a federal loan disbursement will first be contacted to ask if they want the loan disbursed or cancelled.

U-M will return all federal student aid funding to the appropriate Federal Title IV Fund. Students will be billed on their U-M student account for any amount returned to the federal government on their behalf.

View the repayment policy or contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Graduate Business, Dental, Law, and Medical students: Contact your respective financial aid office to request repayment policy information.

Student Activities

Student life at U-M offers the kind of thoroughly engaging opportunities most major public universities afford their students. For information about student activities and organizations specific to your program, visit your individual school and college website.

Student Body Diversity

For information about the diversity of the university student body, contact the Office of Budget and Planning, 523 S. Division, 2nd Floor; Phone: 734-763-9954, or visit the U-M Office of Budget and Planning website.

For information about the university's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative, visit the U-M DEI website. Also read about the U-M Expect Respect initiative through the Office of Student Life, which celebrates diversity and fosters respect.

Textbook Prices

The Office of the Registrar has a tool available to students within the Wolverine Access self-service portal on the "My Class Schedule" page. See information about the tool here or contact the Registrar's office for additional information.

Transfer Credit Policy

Visit the U-M Admissions webpage on Transfer Credit for information.

Withdrawal Procedures

Students who are withdrawing from all U-M classes must notify the U-M Registrar by following specific withdrawal procedures.

Graduate Business, Dental, Law, and Medical students: Contact your respective financial aid office to request withdrawal procedures.

Information About Student Financial Assistance

Graduate Business, Dental, Law, and Medical Students: Contact your respective financial aid office (see contact information above) to request the aid information listed below.

All Other Students: Contact the Office of Financial Aid. Most information is available in the Office of Financial Aid publication Required Reading and on the following webpages:

University Code of Conduct for Student Loans: The university adheres to a code of conduct regarding relationships with providers of educational loans. This information may be found on this website here and the U-M Provost's website along with other resources and policies relating to conflict of interest. Select "University Code of Conduct for Student Loans.

Rights and Responsibilities of Aid Recipients

  • Renewing Your Aid:
    See our terms and conditions page for information.
    Graduate Business, Dental, Law, and Medical students: Contact your respective financial aid office.
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress:
    This is the term used to denote a student's successful completion of course work toward a degree. Students must maintain specific, satisfactory academic progress requirements to be eligible for financial aid.
    Graduate Business, Dental, Law, and Medical students: Contact your respective financial aid office.
  • Disbursement of Your Aid Funds (method and frequency):
    Financial aid is disbursed (paid) to students in different ways depending on the type of aid and other factors.
    Medical students: Email your respective financial aid office.
  • Terms/Conditions of Employment Provided as Financial Aid:
    See our information on Work-Study & Other Jobs and visit the Student Employment Office website.
  • Terms of Student Loans, Including Necessity of Repayment, and Sample Repayment Schedule: See Repaying Your Student Loans.
    Dental, Law, and Medical students: Contact your respective financial aid office.
  • Terms/Conditions of Deferment or Cancellation of Perkins Loan, Direct Stafford, or FFEL Loan Because of Volunteer Service: Students may receive deferment or cancellation of loans for volunteer service such as Peace Corps, Armed Services, etc. Visit the Federal Student Aid website for more information.

Scholarship Fraud

The College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act of 2000 was passed to protect against fraud in student financial aid by establishing stricter sentencing guidelines for criminal financial aid fraud. According to the Federal Trade Commission, perpetrators of financial aid fraud often use the following lines to sell their scholarship services; students should avoid any scholarship service or website that says the following:

  • "This scholarship is guaranteed or your money back."
  • "You can't get this information anywhere else."
  • "I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship."
  • "We'll do all the work."
  • "This scholarship will cost some money."
  • "You've been selected by a 'national foundation' to receive a scholarship" or "You're a finalist" in a contest you never entered.

The U.S. Department of Education notes that there is no need for any student to pay for college preparation or financial aid advice. High school counselors, college financial aid administrators, and the Federal Student Aid Information Center all provide help for free. Visit the Federal Student Aid webpage on avoiding scams for lists of fraud warning signs and free sources of aid information.

If you believe you've been the victim of scholarship fraud, wish to file a complaint, or want more information, call 1-877-FTC-HELP or visit the Federal Trade Commission website.

Student Outcomes

Graduation and Retention Rates

The Office of the Registrar offers up-to-date data on degrees conferred, enrollment reports, first-year retention rates, and race and ethnicity reports for annual degrees. Visit the RO Reports webpage for more information. Graduation rates are also published through the Office of Budget and Planning's website. Visit the U-M Office of Budget and Planning for the most recently published graduation rates of freshman cohorts. Information is also included in the Office of Budget and Planning's Michigan Almanac, Chapter 4 "Undergraduate Student Success." Data is updated regularly by the U-M Office of Budget and Planning.

Graduation and Retention Rates for Student Athletes

This must be provided to student-athletes, their parents, high school coaches, and guidance counselors when an athletically related student aid offer is made. The NCAA provides this information directly to high schools. For information, contact the Athletic Department, 1000 S. State St.; Phone: 734-647-2583.

Employment for Graduates

Available information about job placement rates and the types of employment obtained by U-M graduates may be obtained from the U-M Career Center, the career services offices of the U-M schools and colleges, and the Office of Budget and Planning.

Graduate and Professional Education for Graduates

Available information about the types of graduate and professional schools in which U-M graduates enroll may be obtained from the U-M Career Center, the career services offices of the U-M schools and colleges, and the Office of Budget and Planning.

Athletic Program Participation and Financial Support Data

As part of The Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act, information on annual participation rates and financing of men's and women's sports in intercollegiate athletic programs is available by request to students and the general public. For more information or to receive a copy of the report, contact the Athletic Department, 1000 S. State St.; Phone: 734-647-2583.

Teacher Preparation Annual Report Card

The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) administers a system for determining Educator Preparation Institution (EPI) Performance Scores to identify, assist, and report teacher preparation programs which are not performing at a satisfactory level. More information about the Educator Preparation Institution Performance Score can be found on the Marsal Family School of Education website.

Health and Safety

COVID-19 Resources

For information on campus resources and developments related to COVID-19, the U-M Health Response website.

Campus Safety and Security

U-M prepares and publishes an Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report each year on October 1. The report contains detailed information about campus safety including emergency services, safety tips, university policies, state laws, and additional support services. Additionally, it contains information about fire safety in on-campus housing, confidential crime reporting, missing student notification protocol, and a summary of the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities. The report also includes three-year statistics of reported crime, including bias-motivated crimes, on the Ann Arbor campus and adjoining properties in compliance with the Clery Act. To receive a complete copy, visit the University of Michigan Division of Public Safety website and the "Crime and Safety Data" tab to access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, or call 734-763-3434. Additional safety and security information, including crime alerts and daily crime incident logs, can also be viewed on this website.

Vaccination Policy

The University of Michigan's policies and information about immunizations for new students can be found on the University Health Service website. Services are provided by appointment on weekdays. Contact them at 734-764-8320.

Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention

Under the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug Free Schools and Campuses Act of 1989, the University of Michigan is required to have an alcohol and other drug policy outlining prevention, education, and intervention efforts and consequences for policy violations. The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is committed to providing a safe, healthy learning community for all its members. See the policy here.

Compliance and U-M Policies

University of Michigan's Nondiscrimination Policy Statement

The University of Michigan, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of Michigan is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. Inquiries or complaints may be addressed to the Senior Director for Institutional Equity, and Title IX/Section 504/ADA Coordinator, Office of Institutional Equity, 2072 Administrative Services Building, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1432, 734-763-0235, TTY 734-647-1388. For other University of Michigan information call 734-764-1817.

The University of Michigan is committed to nondiscrimination in federally assisted programs and activities. For more information on this, visit the U.S. General Services Administration page on Nondiscrimination in Federally Assisted Programs and Activities.

Resolving Complaints at the University of Michigan

The university encourages students and prospective students to address complaints relating to U-M's institutional policies and consumer protection issues first with personnel in the office, department, school, or college that led to the complaint alleged. If needed, senior university administrators may also become involved to help resolve complaints. If you have concerns regarding the quality of instruction provided at the university or the university's ongoing ability to meet its accreditation requirements, you may contact the university's accreditor, the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. If your concerns about the university involve consumer protection issues, you may contact the Consumer Protection Division within the Michigan Attorney General's Office.

Compliance at the University of Michigan

The U-M Compliance Resource Center website is a road map to compliance at the University of Michigan. It is part of a comprehensive compliance initiative coordinated through the Office of the Vice-President and General Counsel, at the direction of the President and executive leadership team, to map U-M's legislative and regulatory compliance obligations and activities from an institutional perspective. This website is intended to improve the accessibility of information about the university's regulatory obligations.

Information on This Website is Subject to Change

Because of the nature of federal, state, and institutional guidelines affecting financial aid programs, the information contained in this website is subject to change.