We are pleased to welcome you to the University of Michigan. You can contact us any time with questions.

  • Step 1: Review Information for Entering Students & Families.
  • Step 2: Visit Wolverine Access. As a University of Michigan student, your student portal in Wolverine Access will be an important resource to conduct university business. Visit Wolverine Access to review any additional documents or tasks required by the Office of Financial Aid
    • Important: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has undergone significant updates for 2024-2025, and the delayed availability of the federal aid application has also delayed our ability to update Wolverine Access. Be sure that you have completed the FAFSA and the CSS Profile by the March 31 deadline and watch your email because we will contact you directly if any additional documents or tasks are required.
  • Step 3: Review your responsibilities and aid certification information. If you are receiving financial aid, it is important that you understand your eligibility and responsibilities. You are expected to review the Award Certification information. Please read it carefully and if you have questions please contact our office.
  • Step 4: Review Financial Aid Required Reading.
  • Step 5: Learn more about Managing Your Aid.
  • Step 6: Review Consumer Information.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do to accept my financial aid offer?

For most aid, no official acceptance of the offer is required. U-M assumes you are accepting all aid offered unless you decline or reduce it. Some scholarships offered by U-M departments require additional steps to accept the award, so read all scholarship letters carefully and direct any questions about departmental funding to the unit offering you the scholarship. If you are a first-time borrower, you will need to complete additional steps. Learn more about loan next steps.

How do I decline or reduce aid?

We assume you are accepting all aid offered unless you decline or reduce an offer. Use the accept/decline aid button in Wolverine Access to make changes to your offered aid. If you are a previous Direct Loan recipient and have previously completed the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling, loan funds will be paid as offered unless you decline them.

I’ve never borrowed a loan. What do I need to do next?

If you intend to borrow the loan funds offered, and this is your first time borrowing a Direct Loan at U-M, you must complete online Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Learn more about loan next steps.

I was awarded a scholarship from outside U-M. Do I need to report it to the Office of Financial Aid? 

Yes, you must report any additional scholarships, assistantships, or prepaid tuition plans that you are receiving that are not listed on the aid notice. Report this information in Wolverine Access. Learn more about reporting scholarships.

How do I find more scholarships?

Visit our scholarship page to research scholarship opportunities and learn more about applying for scholarships.

How do I get my aid?

Financial aid is paid to your U-M student bill just before classes begin each term if you are enrolled in an approved degree program. Your aid is offered assuming that you will be enrolled full time so you may see changes to the funding received if you enroll below that level. (Waitlisted courses and not-for-credit courses do not count toward enrollment for aid purposes.) Learn more about the terms and conditions of accepting financial aid.

Do I have any other borrowing options?

If you are not eligible for Direct Loans or need additional resources to cover college costs, you may want to apply separately for a supplemental loan through the federal government or a private lender. Explore more loan opportunities.

I am a student parent. Does U-M offer any assistance with child care costs?

The U-M Child Care Subsidy is available to help eligible students with the cost of State of Michigan licensed child care of their young, dependent children. Learn more about the child care subsidy.

Does U-M offer a payment plan?

Yes. The U-M Student Financial Services office provides an optional U-M payment plan, which allows families/students to spread payment of anticipated directly billed educational expenses for fall or winter term over five payments. Full details, including eligibility and how to enroll in the plan, are available on their website.

Can I appeal for more financial aid?

We understand that some students and their families experience unique circumstances that affect the ability to pay college costs. If your financial circumstances change, you can explore your aid appeal options.

The Cost of Borrowing

Some borrowing may be necessary and will help you pay for college, but loans must be repaid and will only defer payment of educational expenses. Financially savvy students will explore all other funding options before borrowing and only borrow what is necessary to meet their needs. Learn more about borrowing and budgeting for college with our planning tools and calculators.