International students with F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, and G-series visas are required to show proof of enough resources to meet their expenses while attending U-M and federal regulations limit financial assistance.

There is no federal financial aid and limited scholarship funding available to international students attending U-M, though a short-term university loan may be available in the case of emergencies (see information below). Any scholarship consideration requires no additional application. Student athletes should work through the U-M Athletic Department for potential scholarships in that area.

Graduate applicants should contact their admitting department, school, or college to inquire about help available in those areas. U-M schools and colleges have very limited funding for undergraduate international students.

Students are strongly encouraged to explore online options for conducting student business, and to use the Document Upload Portal on Wolverine Access for uploading needed documents. If you have questions, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 734-763-6600 or [email protected].

Other Possible Funding Sources

For information about financial aid and private scholarships for international students contact:

Private Loans: Some U.S. lenders will provide private education loans for international students who have a qualified U.S. co-signer. Some lenders require that the student have a Social Security number prior to applying. Visit the University of Michigan's FASTChoice International Private Educations Loans website for more information. U-M has not endorsed these programs, but is making the information available to you.