Students taking courses that are not part of a degree program are considered non-candidate-for-degree students. There are federal financial aid options if you are enrolling:

  • In a required prerequisite(s) course for admission to a degree/professional program, or
  • In an approved teacher certification program

There are maximum time periods and dollar limits for which students will be considered for federal loans under these circumstances. Speak with a financial aid counselor if you need more information about your specific situation.

Students who may be eligible for federal financial aid should:

  • Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) for the appropriate aid year to be considered for federal loans and grants. (Use FAFSA code 002325 so that we receive it.)
  • Complete a non-candidate for degree questionnaire if you receive an email request from our office (a link to the form will appear when you log into Wolverine Access). Depending upon your situation, this form will require involvement of a degree program official and academic advisors or your teacher certification academic administrator. Give yourself time to obtain needed information before submitting it.

Other students: If one of the two categories noted above does not apply, you are not eligible for federal financial aid. You may, however, be able borrow through a private loan source. Contact our office to discuss your options.

Related Information: Rackham Graduate Non-candidate for Degree Instructions