The University of Michigan is pleased to welcome applicants from other colleges and universities. Financial aid for students is available from university, federal, and state programs. Transfer students are considered for most university scholarships upon admission to U-M.

You may also be eligible for the U-M Go Blue Guarantee, which offers free tuition to students with family incomes of $75,000 or less and assets below $75,000. You are automatically considered when you apply for financial aid and your family income and assets are considered. Each transfer student’s situation varies. The number of years (or terms) you qualify for would depend upon the credits you received and terms attended at previous institutions. Visit the GBG Eligibility page for more information about eligibility and conditions.

Students are strongly encouraged to explore online options for conducting student business, and to use the Document Upload Portal on Wolverine Access for uploading needed documents. If you have questions, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 734-763-6600 or [email protected].

Opportunities for Community College Transfer Students

Transfer students can find general information about scholarships at the University of Michigan by visiting the 5 Steps to Undergraduate Scholarships page. Entering transfer students from Michigan Community Colleges are specifically considered for two scholarships. Download the Michigan Community College Scholarship and Michigan Community College Scholar Award flyer (PDF) for more information.

To be considered for these scholarships, students must apply for financial aid.

The Office of Financial Aid administers a Child Care Subsidy Program for students with young, dependent children. This program assists parents with the cost of licensed child care. More information is available on the Students with Child Care Expenses page.

The Current Student Scholarship in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts is available for transfer students in their first fall and winter terms of enrollment. These scholarships are based on financial need.

For general information about admission to U-M, including transfer credits and course equivalencies, visit the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website.

How To Apply for Aid

Students who are considering transferring to U-M should apply for financial aid. Those transferring to U-M from community colleges and from two- and four-year colleges and universities should follow the application instructions for New Undergraduates. Information for students who are applying for winter term admission is also included on the deadlines page.

If you are a current U-M student and you want to reapply for financial aid, see the instructions for Current Undergraduates.

Transferring to Michigan Brochure

Covers questions students and families commonly ask about transferring to Michigan. This includes information about using the U-M Net Price Calculator to estimate how much aid an individual student may receive.