Graduate Students

Financial aid for graduate students is limited compared with what is available for undergraduates. Most aid administered by the Office of Financial Aid is in the form of loan and Work-Study programs. The Ross School of Business, Dental School D.D.S. Program, Law School and Medical School have their own financial aid offices and/or representatives, and students should contact them directly for financial aid information. Undocumented graduate students should contact Rackham Graduate School or your specific school or college for information about admission and financial assistance.
See information below about the types of aid available, or download a Graduate Student Financial Aid Programs flier here.

NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 situation, the U-M Office of Financial Aid is currently unable to receive materials by mail. Students are strongly encouraged to use the Document Upload Portal on Wolverine Access for uploading needed documents. If you have questions, contact the Office of Financial Aid by calling 734-763-6600 or emailing


The primary source of information about scholarship programs is the U-M school, college, or department in which you are enrolled or plan to enroll and the Rackham Graduate School. Deadlines for graduate funding vary.  Because many deadlines occur early in the academic year, seek out information and application materials as early as possible.
Rackham Graduate School administers a number of fellowships and coordinates fellowship competitions. Information on these programs, as well as a variety of departmental and non-university programs, is available from the Rackham Graduate School.
Visit this page for more about graduate scholarships. Also, check our general scholarships page for information about applying for private scholarships.


Graduate students who apply for financial aid are considered for the following federal loan and Work-Study programs:

With the exception of the unsubsidized Stafford Loan, all of these programs are awarded based on financial need. Students who don’t qualify for need-based aid may be awarded the unsubsidized Stafford Loan. For more information, select one of the links above for information specific to your program.

Federal Work-Study is a financial aid program that provides funds for part-time jobs for students, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. A percentage of students’ earnings is paid through federal funds, and the remainder is paid by the student's employer. For more information see Work-Study & Other Jobs.

Graduate students may also apply separately for Federal Direct PLUS loans or private education loans.


Complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each year that you attend and need aid. The FAFSA is available on October 1 each year and we must receive your valid FAFSA from the federal processor by March 31. Be sure to allow time for any corrections that might be needed to your FAFSA so we receive it in a timely manner. If you are entering U-M during spring/summer terms, complete a FAFSA for the current year (for example, students starting their academic program in spring/summer 2020 would complete a 2019-2020 FAFSA).

Current students who want to attend spring/summer and receive aid must also complete a Request for Funds form, found on our Forms page from Feb. 1-July 31 each year. Detached study semesters will count as the equivalent of eight credit hours attempted and completed when calculating both pace and 150% of program length completion.

Graduate Undocumented or DACA students: Are you an undocumented student or do you qualify for a DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) status? See the frequently asked questions section on the Rackham Graduate School website.

Alternative Payment Option: U-M offers a payment plan that allows students to pay their bills in installments. For information, read more about the U-M Payment Plan or contact the Student Financial Services office at 877-840-4738 or by email at


After funding is distributed, financial aid is sometimes reduced if additional resources from a non-university donor or a university department are added, you have a change in your financial situation, a GSI/RA appointment is considered or you drop to less-than-full-time enrollment.

The Office of Financial Aid is required to consider all funding sources when reviewing aid eligibility. These include: departmental scholarships, outside fellowships and GSRA/GSI tuition waiver amounts. Total financial aid cannot exceed a student's budget which includes tuition, fees and allowances for books/supplies, food, and rent. Since the Office of Financial Aid is often unaware of GSRA/GSI appointments until they are processed by University Human Resources, these appointments can reduce federal aid once they are processed. We monitor all financial aid on a daily basis and adjust it, as required.