International Students

International students with F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, and G-series visas are required to show proof of enough resources to meet their expenses while attending U-M and federal regulations limit financial assistance.

There is no federal financial aid and limited scholarship funding available to international students attending U-M, though a short-term university loan may be available in the case of emergencies (see information below). Any scholarship consideration requires no additional application. Student athletes should work through the U-M Athletic Department for potential scholarships in that area.

Graduate applicants should contact their admitting department, school, or college to inquire about help available in those areas. U-M schools and colleges have very limited funding for undergraduate international students.

NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 situation, the U-M Office of Financial Aid is currently unable to receive materials by mail. Students are strongly encouraged to use the Document Upload Portal on Wolverine Access for uploading needed documents. If you have questions, contact the Office of Financial Aid by calling 734-763-6600 or emailing

The university offers a short-term, low-interest loan for international students enrolled full-time at U-M. It should be used as a last resort in emergency situations. This could include the need to travel home due to a family crisis or a national circumstance. Student applicants must identify sources to repay the loan. Details of the program are listed below:

U-M International Student Loan Program
Sponsor and How to Apply
  • Sponsor: U-M Office of Financial Aid
  • How to applyContact us to complete an International Student Loan application and attach all documentation including: budget sheet, proof of emergency circumstances, and demonstrated ability to meet the majority of attendance costs. 
  • Students will be notified in a timely manner of their loan eligibility, usually within one week after applying.
Eligible Borrower and Loan Amount The borrower must:
  • Be an international student attending UM-Ann Arbor full-time (12 credit hours per term for undergraduates; eight hours per term for graduate students)
  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Be experiencing an unanticipated financial crisis during the period in which the loan is requested. Documentation of the crisis is required and includes a budget sheet, proof of the emergency, and demonstrated ability to meet cost of attendance. (A crisis does NOT include an increase in tuition, increased need because of family size change, or an increase in living costs due to inflation.)
  • Document the ability to meet most attendance costs
  • The amount of the loan will be determined by the student need, but in no case will it exceed $1,500.
Loan Terms, Interest Rates, and Repayment Terms
  • An annual interest rate of 3% will accrue on the loan beginning the day the student receives the loan and ending when the loan has been paid in full.
  • The repayment date of all loans originating in fall and winter terms will be negotiated, but it will not extend beyond August 1 of the academic year in which the loan originates. Loans originating during spring and/or summer terms must be repaid by December 1. 
  • Students may receive only one U-M International Student Loan per academic year.
  • Students must not have outstanding University Loans in excess of $2,500 (this includes a combination of Emergency Loans, University Loans and International Loans).


For information about financial aid and private scholarships for international students contact:

Private Loans: Some U.S. lenders will provide private education loans for international students who have a qualified U.S. co-signer. Some lenders require that the student have a Social Security number prior to applying. Visit the University of Michigan's FASTChoice International Private Educations Loans site for more information. U-M has not endorsed these programs, but is making the information available to you.