Undocumented Students

Our statement of support

In this time of uncertainty surrounding immigration in our country, we want to reinforce the university’s support and advocacy for the many undocumented or DACAmented students who attend, or hope to attend, the University of Michigan. The university is committed to continuing its need-based grant funding for DACAmented and undocumented students.

Dr. Kedra Ishop, Vice Provost for Enrollment Management
University of Michigan – Ann Arbor​

The University of Michigan welcomes the application and enrollment of undocumented students who are academically excellent and accomplished in extracurricular endeavors. 

Applying to attend U-M:

You may complete either the Common Application for Undergraduate College Admission or the  Coalition Application for Access, Affordability and Success (only complete one, not both). If you do not have a Social Security Number, leave the field on the application blank.  If you are interested in applying to U-M, please see the Undergraduate Admissions Resource Guide for DACA and Undocumented Students on the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website for more information and details.

Graduate students should contact Rackham Graduate School or your specific school of college for information about admission and financial assistance. Are you a graduate student who is undocumented or qualifies for a DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) status? See frequently asked questions and the "Undocumented and DACAmented Students" page on the Rackham Graduate School website.

In-state tuition questions:

Detailed guidelines for qualifying for in-state tuition are available from the U-M Office of the Registrar. These guidelines provide an alternative test for establishing in-state tuition eligibility based on attendance at Michigan high schools and Michigan middle or junior high schools and matriculation at the University within 40 months of high school. For information, visit www.ro.umich.edu/resreg.php.

Financial aid and assistance: 

Most financial aid, including federal, state and many institutional aid sources, requires recipients to be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens.  There is limited U-M need-based financial aid for undergraduate undocumented students who qualify for in-state tuition at U-M. Please contact the U-M Office of Financial Aid and we will assist you with the application process. Call 734-763-6600, email Kristin Bhaumik (Associate Director) at kbhaumik@umich.edu, or visit our office for help.

For more information about eligible non-citizens, visit the U.S. Dept. of Education Federal Student Aid website.

If a student is a U.S. citizen but one or more parents are undocumented, contact the Office of Financial Aid to discuss your specific situation.

You may wish to visit the Scholarship Resources for Undocumented Students page or the "5 Steps to Scholarships" page to search for private funding opportunities. Each listing has separate criteria for individual scholarships.  Check for opportunities that may be available through your admitting school or college. In addition, the FinAid.org website offers background, resources and other information for undocumented students.



Following are key contacts in these areas at U-M. Contact us if we can answer additional questions:


Janet Cruz, Residency Classification Coordinator
U-M Office of the Registrar, Residency Classification Office
1210 LS&A Building, 500 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109
Tel: (734) 764-1400
Email: jancruz@umich.edu
Web: www.ro.umich.edu 


Erica L. Sanders, Director
U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions
1220 Student Activities Bldg., 515 E. Jefferson St.
Tel: (734) 764-7433
Email: uadirector@umich.edu
Web: admissions.umich.edu

Monique Washington, Director of Graduate School Admissions
Rackham Graduate School
1020 Rackham Bldg., 915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1070
Tel: (734) 764-8129
Email: moniquew@umich.edu
Web: www.rackham.umich.edu

Financial Aid:

Kristin Bhaumik, Associate Director
U-M Office of Financial Aid
2500 Student Activities Bldg., 515 E. Jefferson St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109
Tel:  (734) 763-6600
Email: kbhaumik@umich.edu
Web: finaid.umich.edu

Other Questions:

Hector Galvan, Program Manager
U-M Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives
Email: hgalvan@umich.edu
Web: undocumented.umich.edu

Special messages from the University: