Veterans & Military

U.S. military veterans and students who are active duty follow the same process as other undergraduate and graduate student applicants. This page tells you where to find instructions and who to contact for more information.


Instructions for applying for financial aid varies depending on whether you are an entering student, a continuing student, transferring from another institution or enrolled in a graduate or professional program. Choose the appropriate instructions from the "How to Apply for Aid" menu. In addition to these instructions, veterans will:


In 2009, Congress passed legislation prohibiting colleges and universities from considering veterans’ benefits as a financial resource when evaluating eligibility for federal need-based financial aid.

However, to ensure that U-M students with comparable financial circumstances are treated equitably with respect to university need-based aid, we take veterans’ benefits into account for tuition and books when determining eligibility for institutional grant funds. If you apply for financial aid and you wish to be considered for university grants and scholarships, you may be asked to supply information about veterans’ educational benefits you receive.


The University of Michigan participates in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program), a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008, which allows institutions of higher learning (degree-granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to fund student veterans' tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50 percent of those expenses, and the VA will match the institution's contribution. The student veteran must be receiving 100 percent of the Post-9/11 Veteran Benefit to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

For more information about this program, see the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. For information about U-M's participation in the program, contact the U-M Office of the Registrar.


The U-M Veterans Certification Department assists students applying for veterans’ educational benefits. They are located at:

Office of the Registrar
LSA Building Suite 5000
500 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382

Call 733-6284 or visit the U-M Veteran and Military Services website.


If you have questions about veterans financial aid, please contact Tasha Lonabarger or Adam Lucier by emailing or calling 734-763-6600.

For more information about programs and support for veterans on campus, explore the links below:

Are you a veteran in crisis or do you know a veteran in crisis? Contact the National Veterans Crisis Line toll-free at 800-273-8255.

Tasha Lonabarger

Adam Lucier


The Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program was created by Public Act 249 of 2014 and is administered by the Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. According to preliminary information from the DMVA, the program will provide tuition assistance of up to $4,500 per academic year to members of the Michigan National Guard. A separate application is required. Eligibility criteria includes:

  • Being active in the National Guard (including one weekend/month and two weeks/year)
  • Not absent without leave or under Uniform Code of Military Justice charges and
  • Meeting additional criteria consistent with recruiting and retention requirements

If you qualify for this program, you must report this payment to the U-M Office of Financial Aid when you receive it. Details, frequently asked questions and applications are available at: Call 517-481-7640 or email

The federal Shopping Sheet was created to help students compare college financial aid offers. U-M has made this tool available through the secure Wolverine Access portal ( at the bottom of the student award summary page. It uses federal data about U-M and student data from Award Notices and will be updated as awards are revised. Other college comparison tools can be found here: