Non-resident students have higher tuition charges because the University of Michigan is a publicly supported state institution and a portion of the cost to Michigan residents is subsidized by the state.

Demonstrated, institutional financial aid is available for students and families. Scholarships from U-M schools and colleges or private sources may be able to cover costs for other students by using these combined resources.

For residency questions, contact the Registrar’s Office at 734-764-1400 or visit their website.

Eligibility Criteria for Need-Based Financial Aid

To qualify for need-based aid, a student must complete the financial aid application process by the priority deadline. For a student's aid to remain consistent year-to-year, their financial and family situation must not change substantially, including the number of family members enrolled in college. Visit the New Undergraduates page for details about applying for aid, including deadlines. Graduate students should visit the Graduate Students page.

Other Possible Sources of Funds

Other options used by non-resident families include the Federal Direct PLUS Loan (available to the parents of undergraduate students) and private loan sources. U-M schools or colleges offer many individual scholarships based on merit, need, or a combination of both. Be sure to complete the My Scholarship Profile on Wolverine Access in order to be considered for all scholarship opportunities at U-M.