Non-resident students have higher tuition charges because the University of Michigan is a publicly supported state institution and a portion of the cost to Michigan residents is subsidized by the state.

Demonstrated, institutional financial need need is available for students and families. Scholarships from U-M schools and colleges or private sources may be able to cover costs for other students by using these combined resources.

For residency questions, contact the Registrar’s Office at (734) 764-1400 or visit

To qualify for need-based aid, a student must complete the financial aid application process by the priority deadline and a student’s financial and family situation must not change substantially, including the number of family members enrolled in college. Visit the New Undergraduates page for details about applying for aid, including deadlines. Graduate students should visit the Graduate Students page.

The Provost's Award is offered to the neediest entering and continuing non-resident undergraduates who are pursuing their first bachelor’s degree. Non-resident students are given automatic consideration for the U-M Provost’s Award when they apply for financial aid as an entering student. The award does not carry into further graduate-level studies.

In combination with other federal and University need-based grants, the Provost’s Award covers 100 percent of tuition costs as well as some of the cost for room and board. Total aid will meet full demonstrated need for this selected set of students. (The Expected Family Contribution is determined during the U-M aid application process when income and assets are considered based on an analysis of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE.) Award amount varies based on need and students with the lowest Expected Family Contribution on the FAFSA and PROFILE receive it.
Renewal of the award is based upon recipients meeting or exceeding the University’s minimum standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress and maintaining full-time, continuous enrollment at the University of Michigan. As with all U-M institutional grants, eligible U-M students will receive the Provost's Award during the first 10 terms of undergraduate enrollment in college including U-M or any other institution of higher education.

Other options used by nonresident families include the Federal Direct PLUS Loan (available to the parents of undergraduate students) and private loan sources. U-M Schools and Colleges offer many individual scholarships based on merit, need or a combination of both. Visit your department of interest by visiting this page for the appropriate link. Be sure to complete the My Scholarship Profile on Wolverine Access in order to be considered for all scholarship opportunities at U-M.