New Undergraduates

Financial aid comes in several forms: Grants and scholarships that are not repaid, loans that must be repaid, or federal Work-Study awards which allow you to earn a paycheck while attending college. If you think you may need financial help to attend the University of Michigan, we encourage you to apply for financial aid using the guidelines below. You may apply for financial aid before being accepted or enrolling at U-M. Continuing graduate students at U-M should follow the same procedures and deadlines noted below.

NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 situation, the U-M Office of Financial Aid is currently unable to receive materials by mail. Students are strongly encouraged to use the Document Upload Portal on Wolverine Access for uploading needed documents. If you have questions, contact the Office of Financial Aid by calling 734-763-6600 or emailing

Go Blue Guarantee promo box


The Free Application for Federal Student Aid

To apply for federal student aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using U-M's federal code 002325. The FAFSA is available on October 1  at no cost to students.  You will be considered for Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant and Federal Direct Loans as well as the Michigan Competitive Scholarship, Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver, Health Professional Loan, Nursing Student Loan and Work-Study awards.

When you apply for financial aid at U-M using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, we verify the information you submitted to the federal processor. We will sometimes ask you for additional information and review other university records during the application process. Your FAFSA record may be corrected based upon this information.

The CSS Financial Aid PROFILE

If you wish to be considered for U-M grants and merit scholarships that demonstrate need, complete the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE using U-M's CSS code 1839 to ensure that we receive your PROFILE. The PROFILE is also available on October 1 each year.

Special notes about the PROFILE:
  • There is a cost associated with the PROFILE. Many students will receive an automatic fee waiver offer from the College Board when providing their income information. Please contact our office to request a fee waiver if you are financially unable to submit this application and are not offered an automatic fee waiver from the College Board. You must request this waiver before submitting the PROFILE. We cannot reimburse families who request the waiver after submission.
  • In most cases, if you will be classified as an independent undergraduate student, you need only complete the FAFSA and not the PROFILE. Definition of an independent student. Certain students who live with legal guardians, as well as some veterans and other special conditions, may be asked to clarify and document their specific situations and may be asked to complete the CSS PROFILE. Contact our office for more information.
  • We use information from both parents, regardless of marital status, when considering whether you are eligible for U-M grants. For families requiring non-custodial parents to complete the PROFILE: The prospective student must invite the non-custodial parent to complete this document as part of the PROFILE application process.  If you have questions, contact the College Board or email for assistance.
  • The College Board offers a tutorial about the CSS Profile on its website that walks students and parents through changes to this year's form.

Some students and families may be asked to submit additional documents to be considered for need-based U-M grants and scholarships. These can include supplemental forms, copies of federal tax returns or other pertinent materials. When this is required, we will contact you by email. Simply sign in to Wolverine Access ( to view a list of needed documents.

About Wolverine Access: This is a quick, convenient way for students and prospective students to access password-protected personal University information, including financial aid documents, award notices and student account statements. For more about using Wolverine Access and viewing your documents, visit this information page.

Submit your documents:

If you have questions about this process, please contact us.


Entering Fall/Winter Terms

If you are applying to attend U-M beginning in the fall term, complete the current year FAFSA and CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE before the deadline of March 31 (more details on this deadline below).

March 31 Priority Deadline: The U-M Office of Financial Aid must receive a valid FAFSA and PROFILE and all other documents by this date to consider you for available aid programs. Give yourself plenty of time to apply so that we receive your records on time. Plan to complete your FAFSA and PROFILE before March 1 so that your application documents reach us in time.

We will typically request other documents to review your application. Those must also reach us by March 31 to consider you for aid. Sign in to Wolverine Access to view a list of needed documents. (Note: U-M does not participate in the College Board IDOC (Institutional Documentation Service) program; do NOT upload your documents through IDOC).

Rejected FAFSA: If your FAFSA is rejected, you may miss the priority deadline. The most common reason is missing required signatures (student and parent signatures are required for dependent students). One parent must also sign for independent students applying for a Health Professions Loan.

May 1: Pay enrollment deposit to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Entering Winter Term

If you are applying to attend U-M beginning winter term, complete the current year FAFSA and CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE at the time you apply for admission.

  1. Complete and submit a current-year Free Application for Federal Student Aid using federal code 002325 and CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE using U-M's CSS code 1839.
  2. We must receive your FAFSA record from the federal processor and your PROFILE application from the College Board (if you are applying for institutional grants and scholarships) by these deadlines:
    • Dec. 15, 2019 if you are entering 2019 winter term
  3. Allow three to four weeks for processing. We will notify you by email if we need additional documents or information; these materials must be submitted within 30 days of notification.
  4. If you have filed a FAFSA, but not requested that the results be sent to UM-Ann Arbor (School Code 002325), visit and select "Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA" or call 1-800-4-FEDAID.

Entering Spring/Summer (Aid Application & Deadlines)

If you are a first-time, dependent undergraduate planning to attend U-M beginning spring or summer terms, we must receive aid application materials for both spring/summer and the coming fall/winter terms to process your aid. This includes the FAFSA, PROFILE, plus any additional documents requested by our office. Deadline dates are as follows:

  1. Complete and submit the 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (use federal code 002325) and the 2020-21 CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE (Use U-M's CSS code 1839). To be considered for all aid programs, we must receive your FAFSA record and your PROFILE application (to be considered for institutional grants and scholarships) by March 31.
  2. Complete and submit the 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (use federal code 002325). We must receive your FAFSA record and all supplemental documents requested by May 10 for spring term and June 1 for summer term.

Special notes to spring/summer admits:

  • First-time students DO NOT submit a Spring/Summer Request for Financial Aid Form, which is used only by continuing students.
  • Do not wait to be admitted before applying for aid. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office.
  • Bridge Students: If you will start at U-M in the Summer Bridge Program, visit the Bridge web page for additional information specific to that program.

Are you a continuing student? Follow the application process for spring/summer on our Current Undergraduates page.


University Scholarships

Students are considered for most scholarships and do not need to apply for them separately. We encourage you to apply for admission early to receive equal consideration with other applicants. Once admitted, visit the My Scholarship Profile on Wolverine Access and complete it to ensure that you are considered for all scholarships. To be considered for scholarships that are awarded to students with financial need, you must also apply for financial aid.

You might also be eligible for scholarships from other sources. We encourage you to explore and apply for any scholarships for which you are eligible. U-M schools, colleges, and departments administer their own scholarships and some may require separate applications. For more information, contact the financial aid offices of the individual schools and colleges or your academic department. For more, visit our 5 Steps to Scholarships page.

Private Scholarships

Conduct your search for private scholarships from September to June of your senior year in high school. See our 5 Steps to Scholarships page more information about where to look for scholarships that might be available to you. A list of private scholarship searches can be found at the bottom.